Here is my route today
Thanks Fitbit Surge watch for that awesome map! You’ll notice I’ve blurred out the street names so you can’t come a murder me in my sleep… although I’m sure if you were intent on murdering me you could figure it out by the shape of the roads. Just to remind you, I have a huge German Shepherd who is really mean and not silly at all. For reals though, I have a big shotgun… in my bedroom.
So I know it’s not even 4.5k, BUT it’s a lot closer to 5k than I’ve walked/ran most days of my life. Also… I just yelled at Svelte “runned??” and he said distainfully, “ran.” I fancy myself somewhat of a wordsmith at times, but apparently ran was not in my vocabulary until today. Rum may be to blame, there’s no way to know.
If you look at my pace you will see that kilometer 2 was mostly a big uphill, kilometer 3 was mostly trying to breathe again and kilometer 4 was mostly downhill. I have to get that pace down to about 9 minutes a kilometer for the half marathon. The slowest you can run it is 16 minutes per mile without being shamefully taken off the course. The Disney website recommends training at 15 minutes per mile.
My goal is to be at 9 minutes per kilometer by race day. That will be a (very) approximate half marathon time of 3 hours. I’d love to be faster but right now this is my goal. If I reach it with time left I’ll pick up the pace.
Serioulsy though, if I can finish this race in last place and not be hauled off the course it will be a VICTORY!
Today my rum was pretty good. Did I say rum? I mean run, yeah, run.
I left at approximately or exactly 13:12 as you can see on the map (ooooh she uses 24 hour time, neat!). Dem puppies were with me as always. Everything started well and then about 1k into the run I realized that the battery had died in Switch’s electronic collar. Remember he is HUGE and occasionally he needs to be reminded to listen to me. So a dead battery meant that he pulled me about 80% of the run and the other 20% I was yelling at him to stop pulling me, between attempts to breathe. He’s pretty smart and he knew that fecking thing was dead.
I decided to go around the neighbourhood and do this once a week so I can have a good record of how much my time is improving while I train. I work 2 days, 2 nights, 5 days off and have just nailed down a schedule for myself. I will run on the day of my first night shift, and then my first, third and 5th day off. My second and 4th day off are cross training and my day shifts and in between my nights are rest days. So my third day off will always be this 4.4k run (longer when I get there). It’s impossible to do anything on a calendar week when you work shift work. I usually don’t even know what day of the week it is.
Everything, except Switch pulling me, went well until we were about 500 meters from home when the neighbour’s dog two doors down (the neighborhood is all acreages so 2 doors down is a ways) decided to come out on the road and attack us. So I have a 70ish lb dog running and growling at us and a 105lb German Shepherd with a dead electronic collar trying to run and growl back at him while attached to my backpack. Luckily I spotted this dog first (miracle!) and grabbed him by the short handle on the leash before he tried to defend his mother’s honour. I actually yelled “who’s FUCKING dog is this” as they were about to get into it. Some girl started yelling at our attacker and Switch barked and stared him down until he slinked away. It could have gone so horribly wrong but we reached home with all limbs in tact.
Then the running gods smiled upon me! It was drizzly and overcast all day and I had taken advantage of a lull in the rain to get my run in. Not 5 minutes after we got home the sky opened up and a torrential downpour commenced. I laid on the couch, breathed and thanked them for holding off until I was done. I will remember that next time I have to run in the rain and give thanks for that one time when they waited until I was done.
In other news I’ve lost a pound. Two weeks in and only one pound but I wasn’t too focused on what I was eating the first week and half. I am now using my fitness pal which synchs to my fitbit app and the eating is going better now. I’m going for a 1000 calorie deficit per day which scales to the amount of calories I burn. I like that better than a static calorie goal. I must always eat a minimum of 1200 calories (no effing problem!) and then depending on how much I burn I can eat more as long as I maintain that 1000 calorie deficit. Usually that equals at least 1500 calories of eating but if I do absolutely nothing all day I can still eat 1200-1300.
99 pounds to go. For some reason that seems like so much less than 100 pounds. Sweet!